It has been a fun ride over the past 10 years watching the UX practice evolve and develop. The practice is widely accepted and used by small businesses to full departments in Fortune 500 companies. As the industry grows so do the resources and possible places to learn about User Experience and all of the sub-specialities that make it up. Below is a curated list of my go to UX resources for beginners as of May 2017.
What is User Experience & Why Does It Matter
There are 3 main resources I point true beginners towards
1. Start with this video from UX Mastery
2. Getting Started in UX – an ebook from UX Mastery
UX Blogs and Newsletters You Should Be Signed Up For
I’ve tried hundreds of UX blogs and newsletters over the years. Here are my top 5, because after 5 it becomes white noise.
- Intercom.io Newsletter / Blog – I personally subscribe to Intercoms newsletter and enjoy the read every week. They are setting a very high standard for SaaS businesses to deliver exceptional content.
- Smashing Mag – UX – Great content focused more on the design than tech side of UX.
- “UX” tag on Medium – check it once a week (around Wednesday or Thursday). This typically pulls in anything I may have missed and it allows me to stay engaged through commenting and liking articles.
- 52 Weeks of UX – Originally a blog and now a project for anyone to reference. I try to read a week as often as possible, maybe once every 1-2 weeks. I’ve read through this project about 2-3 times now and it’s always a good reminder of why we are doing this or sparks a new idea or project.
- The Futur – A YouTube channel dedicated to the future of online education for creative entrepreneurs.
What resources for beginners do you recommend? Let me know in the comment section below!